* FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS $10 OR MORE! *
Did you know there are actually edible flowers? That is right. There are flowers you can eat. They will not harm you and some even taste okay. There are also highly poisonous flowers that you want to keep your children and pets from. We will list the poisonous flowers at the bottom of the page.
Sometimes pretty flowers are used to top a cake, add to a salad, or as a garnish but can they be eaten?
It is important to eat flowers that you know for a fact are non-poisonous. You should only eat the ones you have grown so you know they are chemical free. Flowers you buy from a florist may have been sprayed with poisonous chemicals. Those grown in public places have been sprayed.
Keep in mind that most of the flowers do not taste all that great but they will look pretty on a wedding cake or birthday cupcakes.
Eat the petals only. Do not eat the stamen or pistil.
Place flowers on a moist paper towel after picking and refrigerate them in an airtight container. They could possibly last for up to ten days. If they look a little limp, place your flowers in ice water until they perk up.
Here is the list of flowers that are okay to eat and/or use on cakes or in dishes:
This list of edible flowers is not all-inclusive.
Do not eat these and do not use to decorate or garnish any food items. Keep your precious children and your pets away from these:
This list of inedible flowers is not all-inclusive. There are many other poisonous flowers.
I would not have any of the poisonous flowers in my yard if I had small children or pets. Fencing them off does not always work. Children and animals may look at a fence like a challenge and then get into them.
David’s Garden Seeds®, gardening is our passion. We provide top quality,
non-GMO seeds so families can learn about gardening and love it. In turn, we
hope they will pass this passion down to their children and
grandchildren, teaching them to grow delicious food, fresh herbs and